Some people hear tofu and immediately turn up their nose, but we say don’t knock it till you try it. In fact, tofu can be terrific. Read on to find out how good it can be.
Tofu is Inexpensive
Tofu is a plant-based, bean curd source of protein that is very low in fat and carbohydrates. It’s also a relatively inexpensive great source of protein. Tofu is typically around $2.50 per pound, and every ounce packs 2-3grams of protein.
Tofu is Versatile
Tofu has a bland flavor, which makes it the perfect base to build flavor. Tofu absorbs any flavor that you can add or season it with. Its versatility allows you to replace it with the meat in most any casserole dish whether chicken, turkey, pork, beef or tuna.
Cook it Right
- Choose a firm or extra-firm tofu because it won’t disintegrate during pan-searing.
- Cut the tofu into large pieces (thin strips or crumbled options work great in casseroles, but for a delicious filet the bigger pieces work best).
- Pat the tofu dry on all sides to remove extra moisture (moisture inhibits the browning and crisping).
- Heat the pan and a little oil on medium-high until the oil shimmers.
- Add the tofu to the hot oil.
- Brown each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Wha la…a beautiful, delicious tofu steak.
Tofu is Terrific
Don’t be afraid to try tofu. Before long you will be calling it terrific too.